Date:      Sun, 12 Mar 2006 03:30:40 -0500
From:      Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
To:        Rong-En Fan <grafan@gmail.com>
Cc:        geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: change gmirror's provider from whole disk to slice

On Sat, 2006-03-11 at 21:07 -0500, Rong-En Fan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Followed by the tutorial available from http://people.freebsd.org/~rse/
> I have created a mirrored system disk by using the whole disk
> (e.g., ad0). But now I want to use the second method mentioned in
> the url above, i.e., using a slice as provider (say ad0s1). My question
> is how to revert the process? After that, I can following the second
> method in rse@'s tutorial.

It should be pretty straightforward.  The first step would be to remove
one of the providers (disks) from your existing mirror, e.g.:

gmirror remove gm0 ad1

or similar, where gm0 is your mirror device and ad1 (da1, etc.) is the
disk you want to remove.  That will leave you with a "mirror" consisting
of just one disk, along with a spare "unused" disk you can then use to
make a new mirror following the second method in rse@'s tutorial.  You
might need to add a "gmirror stop" before the "# make sure the first
disk is treated as a really fresh one" step later on, as I don't know if
the system will like you to dd onto an underlying provider of an open
gmirror.

I used a technique similar to this to convert my all-mirrored gvinum
setup to a gmirror in-place.  The ability of gmirror to create a
one-disk mirror is very handy for this kind of rearrangement!

Cheers,

Paul.
--
e-mail: paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu