Date:      Mon, 7 Feb 2000 17:39:27 -0600
From:      "Thatcher Hubbard" <hubbardj@earthlink.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   More server config questions...

  If anyone who does respond to these wouldn't mind sending me a copy
directly I'd appreciate it.  I used to track the list, but the volume got
too high for me to go through all of them every day.
  So I've still got this Compaq Proliant 6500.  I installed 3.4-RELEASE onto
one of the hard disks just to see how some of the kernel configuration
options would work.  I ran into a couple of problems.

  First, I enabled multiprocessor support with these lines:

  options SMP
  options APIC_IO
  options NCPU=2
  options NBUS=3
  options NAPIC=1
  options NINTR=44

  This is what mptable indicated I should use.  For some reason, after
building and rebooting, the kernel only scan NBUS-2 pci busses (1 in this
case).  My PCI NIC is in the fifth PCI slot on the mb, and it doesn't get
picked up.  So I bump NBUS up to 7, build and boot.  It scans all five PCI
busses all right, but I get a device timeout when I try to use the NIC.  I
moved the NIC into the first slot, and set NBUS back to 3, and it works now,
but what happens when I try to add PCI cards (like a RAID controller?)
I did notice a line during bootup that said something like 'nxbushigh_fix :
bad number of buses 255, setting to 1".  Is the intel chipset in this thing
incompatible with FreeBSD?
  A more minor issue is this : when I put options "VM86" in the config file,
build and boot, it quits because the RAM values don't match up.  Is this
something that happens when you go over 128MB?  Do I have to hardwire the
amount of RAM into the kernel config somewhere?
  Again, thanks to any who read this and respond, your help is appreciated.