Date:      Tue, 10 Oct 2006 15:43:28 -0400
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Cc:        JoaoBR <joao@matik.com.br>
Subject:   Re: Hyperthreading Issues (on Athlon64?)

On Tuesday 10 October 2006 14:55, JoaoBR wrote:
> On Tuesday 10 October 2006 15:11, Brooks Davis wrote:
> > > My dmesg does not have the line about "Hyperthreading: 2 logical CPUs=
",
> > > though. =A0But I had been pretty sure the Athlon64 chips didn't have =
any
> > > hyperthreading support. =A0Why is the HTT there?
>=20
>=20
> HTT is NOT hyperthreading, HT is and HT does not exist on AMD64

Err, no.  The HTT there stands for HyperThreading Technology.  I should
know as I added it. :)  What it really means is that you can check one
of the registers returned by cpuid 1 to see how many logical CPUs the
current physical CPU package contains.  Originally this was only used
for hyperthreads, but it was reused for multi-core as well, so if you
have a dual-core chip with 2 hyperthreads in each core, it reports 4
logical CPUs.  If you have 2 cores, it reports 2 logical CPUs.  If
you have 1 core with 2 hyperthreads, it reports 2 logical CPUs.

=2D-=20
John Baldwin