Date:      Sun, 18 Nov 2012 15:00:00 GMT
From:      Ian Lepore <freebsd@damnhippie.dyndns.org>
To:        freebsd-rc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bin/165477: [rc] dhclient is run twice

The following reply was made to PR bin/165477; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Ian Lepore <freebsd@damnhippie.dyndns.org>
To: Chris Rees <crees@freebsd.org>
Cc: Hiroki Sato <hrs@freebsd.org>,
        "freebsd-rc@freebsd.org"
 <freebsd-rc@freebsd.org>, wblock@freebsd.org,
        "bug-followup@freebsd.org"
 <bug-followup@freebsd.org>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 07:58:14 -0700

 On Sun, 2012-11-18 at 14:40 +0000, Chris Rees wrote:
 > On 17 November 2012 22:59, Hiroki Sato <hrs@freebsd.org> wrote:
 > >
 > >  I think it is safe to remove the warning message when rc_quiet=YES.
 > >  What do you think about the attached patch?
 >
 > I had originally considered that, but it then makes dhclient behave
 > differently from other scripts; nothing else respects rc_quiet in this
 > fashion;
 >
 > from rc.subr:
 >                 start)
 >                         if [ -z "$rc_fast" -a -n "$rc_pid" ]; then
 >                                 echo 1>&2 "${name} already running?
 > (pid=$rc_pid)."
 >                                 return 1
 >                         fi
 > and
 >
 > [crees@pegasus]~/workspace/ports/musicpd% sudo service musicpd quietstart
 > musicpd already running? (pid=83847).
 >
 > Chris

 If not via the rc_quiet mechanism, then please silence it via some other
 mechanism *to restore historical behavior*.

 In the past, rc.d/dhclient had its own silent pidfile check and in
 general the design was to be silently idempotent (presumably because of
 the way it gets invoked multiple times for the same inteface during rc
 processing).  Somewhere along the line it was changed to use new common
 rc.subr code to handle the pidfile check, but because the new code is
 not silent it wasn't really equivelent to the old code.

 As far as I'm concerned the switch to the new noisy pidfile check for
 dhclient amounts to the introduction of a bug.  If it doesn't get
 changed I can see years of explaining to customers (who seem to have
 nothing better to do than spelunk system logs) "don't worry about that,
 it's normal."

 -- Ian