Date:      Fri, 9 Aug 2002 02:07:04 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
To:        <bill@mcmilleon.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD LIST <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.Org>
Subject:   Re: terminal server-like replacement for getty?

On Fri, 9 Aug 2002, Bill McMilleon wrote:
> I am trying to figure out how to configure my
> 4.6-RELEASE server to act as a terminal server for
> one of it's onboard serial ports.

Do you mean so you can dial up to your server/box?

> I would like to be able to telnet/ssh to a specific
> port (say 3000) be presented with a login prompt, and
> when successfully authenticated, directly connect to
> /dev/modem which is symlinked to /dev/cuaa1.

That sounds pretty cool so I thought I'd try an answer at this.

What if you run telnet or ssh on whichever port you choose (I forget how to
do this... /etc/services says these ports are generally 23 and 22) and
login as a specific user you've created as root (say, modemout) - all you
have to have done ahead of time is put the necessary connection "calls" in
your ~modemout/.login file.

> How does one do this?  I've found little/nothing on
> this topic ... am I missing something obvious here?
> Thanks in advance...
> Bill McMilleon

I'll be interested to see more on this thread.

--
Peter Leftwich
President & Founder