Date:      Mon, 13 Nov 1995 18:30:59 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu (Charles Henrich)
Cc:        nate@rocky.sri.MT.net, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ISP state their FreeBSD concerns

> > Since the VM system is *very* sensitive to even minor modifications, I
> > suspect it would have taken a *very* long to review the patches, apply
> > them to the system, and then test them.  Even very simple errors can
> > cause *massive* corruptions, and I'm sure both David and John would
> > rather avoid that for something as critical as the 2.1 release.
> >
> > I think you underestimate the time needed to test something so critical
> > as this.
>
> I find it hard to believe it would have taken longer than the 3 or 4 months its
> been since he posted them.  Even if there truly was no time to review the
> patches for 2.1 since then, would it have not made sense to pull them into 2.2
> to get the ball rolling?

I find it hard to believe too, since all that is required is that you
understand the code.  Matt clearly had to do this to generate the
patches in the first place, and we must assume that the people who
wrote it understand it enough to predict the results.

It's not like this is magic or anything... it's complex, yes, but that
doesn't make it beyond mortal ken.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---