Date:      Thu, 02 Aug 2001 13:46:17 -0700
From:      John Gordon <john.gordon@windriver.com>
To:        Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        Bob Fawcett <bobf@gulfaero.com>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
Subject:   Re: Xircom pccard problem.

Hello,

I had problems getting my Xircom card (a "built in" CEM56) to work when
I upgraded to 4.3 from 4.2, and in the end most of the problem turned
out to be the flags that were set for pccardd. Somehow it was set up to
use just one IRQ (passed on the command line via the flags), and that
IRQ no longer worked for 4.3, but was happy under 4.2.

I removed the option from the flags, and then made sure that the IRQ
list in the config file contained only ones that I knew worked. For a
while I was actually forcing the Xircom card to use the IRQ that it
selected under 4.2 for itself, but I have since discovered that it will
work on some of the other free ones, though not all.

HTH,

John...

PS I don't have the machine with me at the moment, but I can send the
config files later if anybody wants them, just drop me a line.

Kevin Oberman wrote:

> > From: "Bob Fawcett" <bobf@gulfaero.com>
> > Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 13:35:06 -0400
> > Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
> >
> > I have a Dell C600, it uses the TI-1410 PCI CardBus Controller,
> > TI-1420 PCI CardBus Controller.  At least Windoz lists both numbers.
> > What PCMCIA ethernet card would be a good choice to use with
> > FreeBSD. I have a Xircom CE3 and a 3Com 3CCFE575CT, but have had
> > little success getting 4.3-STABLE to run since install.  Somehow I
> > managed to install via FTP with the Xircom card, but have had no
> > success since then getting it to run again.  I am a rookie at all
> > this so no telling what I did to myself.
>
> The obvious thing is to check for contents of your /etc/rc.conf file.
> Does it contain:
> pccard_enable="YES"
>
> I'd also strongly suggest:
> pccardd_flags="-z"
>
> If so, check for possible IRQ problems. The irq line in
> /etc/defaults/pccard.conf should list the available IRQs. If this does
> not match your reality, delete those IRQs that are in use. Look at
> dmesg and vmstat -i for information on what is in use.
>
> If it worked to install the system, it should work elsewhere.
>
> And, don't build a new stable for a few days. We are just entering
> code freeze for 4.4-Release and stable is less stable than it usually
> is due to the high volume of MFCs. (I hope you subscribe to
> stable@freebsd.org, so you are already aware of this.)
>
> Things should be back to fairly normal in about 3 days, I'd hope, as
> stable morphs to 4.4-BETA and 4.4-RC status prior to 4.4-Release.
>
> R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
> Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)
> E-mail: oberman@es.net                  Phone: +1 510 486-8634

John Gordon                                   Wind River Systems, Inc.
Member of Technical Staff                     500 Wind River Way
mailto:john.gordon@windriver.com              Alameda, CA 94501
http://www.windriver.com                      +1 (510) 749 2464