Date:      Fri, 7 May 1999 22:03:31 -0400
From:      Keith Stevenson <k.stevenson@louisville.edu>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Stability concerns in latest -STABLEs.

As I understand it, the 3.1-STABLE includes all of the bugfixes developed for
3.1-RELEASE.  In addition, it contains enhancements which the development team
have had running in the CURRENT branch for some time.  These enhancements have
to have been stable under the CURRENT branch to even be considered for back-
porting into STABLE.

I've been running FreeBSD for a while now and so far the developers have been,
well, they have been rather anal about ensuring the stability of STABLE.
(Sorry for the unflattering description.)  I've seen many debates about
whether or not to incorporate a new and in-demand feature into STABLE.  More
often than not the decision has come down to _not_ backport the feature until
it has proven itself in CURRENT for a while longer.

So far, knock on virtual wood, I haven't been victimized by these random
reboots.  I'm running a set of pretty generic hardware, but I do push it
pretty hard at times.  (I also don't cvsup very often.  Once I have a stable
system I try to leave it alone.)

Anyway, that's the difference between RELEASE and STABLE as I see it.

Regards,
--Keith Stevenson--

--
Keith Stevenson
System Programmer - Data Center Services - University of Louisville