Date:      Tue, 6 Apr 1999 09:30:02 -0500 (CDT)
From:      FrankenRoot <root@mfn.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Exporting FS troubles (AMD)

Greetings,

	Until yesterday evening, we had AMD set up and running without
problems.  The basic network config is:

Bastion (ext. router) -----> Int. Router / File server ---> various subnets

First off, let me say that there have been *no* changes made to the interior
router / file server, nor to any of the various client machines.  None.  Zero.
So, with this in mind, I naturally expected a hardware problem, however, the
file server passes all diagnostics, and is still usable for *everything*
except exporting files???

The client machines are reporting that the file server is not responding,
and are therefore freezing.  While this is going on, I can be on the file
server, either locally or remotely, with no problems (even from a machine
which is having an AMD failure).  All machines are 2.2.5-R.

I've checked and rechecked connectivity: pings are fine, telnets are OK,
everything seems ok, except my network is down because AMD can't mount remote
filesystems.  Disk space is ok on both the file server and the clients (worst FS on the server is at 72%).  Swap space is only in minimal use on all machines
(they all have 64mb of RAM plus 128mb of swap space - worst case machine is
using about 5% os it's swap).

Both the server and the clients are still logging remotely without a hitch, so
routing is obviously ok (the logger system is detached from, but gets it's info
from, the Bastion host).

Although the client machines are freezing with an AMD server not responding
(paraphrased) message, the server is not indicating any kind of errors via syslog.

HELP!

I'll take even the wackyest suggestions, thoughts, ideas, etc.  *Anything*
right now!

Thanks!  (Please respond directly, as I am not on the list).