Date:      Sun, 25 Oct 1998 21:58:45 -0800
From:      Studded <Studded@gorean.org>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Time calibration ?

Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Sunday, 25 October 1998 at  1:14:02 -0800, Studded wrote:
> > It's generally considered rude for an "average user" to synch to a
> > stratum 1 server without permission.
>
> It's generally considered rude for an "average user" to synch to any
> ntp server without permission.  But there are plenty of stratum 1
> servers available which have an open access policy.

	I've read quite a bit of the documentation about ntp, followed the
comp.protocols.time.ntp newsgroup, etc. The commonly accepted practice
is that public stratum 1 servers exist for public stratum 2 servers to
synch to. Those of us not providing publicly available time service are
encouraged to maintain stratum 3 servers for our own networks to synch
to. It's not written in stone, but it's part of the common culture.

> Note that this also implies that Dan's idea of finding the closest
> server, apart from bringing no advantage, is also considered
> inappropriate.

	*nod*  I wasn't going to go there, but yes, you should have permission
from any time server you synch to regularly that is not open for public
access.

> Who were you talking to?

	My answer about xntpd vs. ntp was directed at another post on this
thread. Sorry for the confusion.

> Why didn't they want to commit it?

	I was told by one person that a port would not be necessary because the
sources would be updated in the tree (they weren't). I was told by
another person not to bother with a port because having a port of up to
date xntpd sources would make the project look bad and I'd just be
wasting my time because he would make sure it never got committed. I
would be happy to hear that is no longer the prevailing view as I think
a port of more recent sources would be of tremendous value.

Doug
--
***           Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network          ***