Date:      Sat, 08 Jun 2002 04:32:09 +0200
From:      Matthias Buelow <mkb@mukappabeta.de>
To:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
Cc:        Corey Snow <corey@snowpoint.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Command Summary?

Kent Stewart wrote:

> Do a "man builtin" and you can see the base commands. You have to
> remember that every shell is slightly different. You can do thinks
> like "man sh", "man csh", and etc.
>
> As far as a browseable is concerned, you can look at
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=builtin&apropos=0&sektion=1&manpath=FreeBSD+4.5-stable&format=html
>

> That will get you started with the man pages.

A good idea is always to get a Unix introductory book and read it.
 Without such
an introductory text, he'll be rather be left hanging in thin air.  For
starters and
a rather superficial overview, O'Reilly books are always good.
Then, he should be looking what hangs around in /bin and /usr/bin, and
doing a
man filename on what one sees there is also very enlightening.
That has always worked for me.  I remember even in DOS, I looked what
programs
were available and then looked them up in the handbook (at the time when
printed
manuals still came with software) and tried to memorize them.
But without a good introductory text, Unix is quite inaccessible to the
beginner.
If he knows DOS or VMS a similar command-line oriented system (not everyone
does anymore these days), there are "migration guides" available on the
web, i.e.,
basically a table where the commands one is familier with are listed,
with the Unix
work-alikes with explanations in another row.

--mkb