Date:      Mon, 25 Mar 96 15:20:19 MET
From:      Greg Lehey <lehey.pad@sni.de>
To:        mrami@minerva.cis.yale.edu
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/editors/bpatch/pkg COMMENT

>> The worst English has in this field is that its irregular verbs are
>> being used in about 50 % of all verbs (my rough estimation).
>
> That seems at odds with the oft-touted statistic that eighty-someodd
> percent of English vocabulary is of Latin origin.  Or do you mean 50%
> of usage?  That could easily be true...

I'd take that claim (the 80%) with a pinch of salt.  First, you need
to define what the English vocabulary is.  I've forgotten the exact
number, but I read recently that the latest edition of the OED has
about 200,000 words.  I'd be quite prepared to believe that 160,000 of
them are of Latin origin.  But if you take the day-to-day vocabulary,
it's much lower.  Take this message (so far), for example:

a	German
about
all	German
are  	German
at  	German
be  	German
being  	German
believe	German
but
claim	Latin
could  	German
day  	German
define	Latin
do  	German
easily
edition	Latin
eighty  German
english German
estimation  Latin
exact	Latin
example	Latin
far  	German
field  	German
first  	German
for  	German
forgotten  German
has  	German
i  	German
if  	German
in  	German
irregular Latin
is  	German
latest  German
latin	Latin
lower  	German
mean  	German
message	Latin
much  	German
my  	German
need  	German
number	Latin
odds
of  	German
oft  	German
or  	German
origin	Latin
percent	Latin
pinch
prepared Latin
quite
read  	German
recently Latin
rough  	German
salt
seems   German
so	German
statistic Latin
take	German
that	German
the	German
them	German
this	German
to	German
touted
true	German
usage	Latin
used	Latin
verbs	Latin
vocabulary Latin
what	German
with	German
words	German
worst	German
you	German

In this list, I have 19 words of Latin origin and 47 of German
origin.  Take a simpler discussion and you'll find that even a higher
percentage is of German origin (look at the words and you'll see
why).  I can't easily decide where the words without an attribution
come from, but there aren't that many.

Greg