Date:      Fri, 5 Jan 2018 10:01:08 -0800
From:      Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
To:        Rob Belics <robbelics@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports ML <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: py27 ports always show "new version available"

On Fri, Jan 05, 2018 at 10:50:11AM -0600, Rob Belics wrote:
> I'm sure I caused this problem when FLAVORS came out by trying to set a
> FLAVOR using "make". Using portmaster as I always have, py27-cffi and
> py27-setuptools update to the latest version that portsnap downloads but
> checking for new versions always returns "new version available" even after
> updating.
>
>  portmaster -L --index-only | egrep '(ew|ort) version|total install'
>     ===>>> New version available: py27-cffi-1.11.2
>     ===>>> New version available: py27-setuptools-38.2.5
>
> Trying to remove the port with portmaster, pkg or 'make' and
> reinstalling does not change anything.

Saw the same abysmal situation yesterday with devel/flang.
The ports system wanted to update py27-enum34-1.1.6 and
py27-sphinx-1.4.8_2,1.  After 'pkg delete XXX' of the
offending ports, portmaster would install the ports,
then promptly fail installing devel/flang because new
versions were available and installation of new versions
failed because, well, the py27-XXX ports were already
installed.

I had to resort to the good old-fashion 'cd devel/flang;
make && make install && make clean' and even this method
failed a few attempts. :(

--
Steve