Date:      Sat, 22 Jan 2000 14:32:58 -0500
From:      Chuck McCrobie <mccrobi@aplcenMP.apl.jhu.edu>
To:        fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Userfs Daemon Dies, What Happens? & Caching Questions

I've been following the discussion about the userfs.  I'm wondering
what happens if, while the pseudo-device is mounted, the daemon dies.
Doesn't that tend to "fudge" up the pseudo-device?  I've only just
started into file system implementations for FreeBSD, so sorry if the
answer is obvious...

It would seem that some type of recovery would be necessary for the
new daemon when its started.

Does the userfs handle caching of disk blocks?  Does it handle caching
of inodes?  Does it handle caching of directory data?  If so, the userfs
would then not benefit from the caching algorithms in the kernel?

Chuck McCrobie  (** MAD VAX **)
mccrobi@apl.jhu.edu