Date:      Fri, 8 Sep 2000 12:07:18 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      "Vladimir Mencl, MK, susSED" <mencl@nenya.ms.mff.cuni.cz>
To:        David Pick <D.M.Pick@qmw.ac.uk>
Cc:        "Todd C. Miller" <Todd.Miller@courtesan.com>, "Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@nagual.pp.ru>, Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG, security-officer@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: UNIX locale format string vulnerability (fwd)

On Fri, 8 Sep 2000, David Pick wrote:

> A fair list of not-obviously-related environment variables. (Puts
> on thinking cap and makes a correlation with packet filter rules.)
> It would be *much* safer to adopt a "deny all and only allow a
> list of variables that are known to be safe and wanted" approach
> rather than a "block the ones we know are unsafe and miss blocking
> a few we don't know about".

Yes, that is the correct approach.

Probably, sudo should maintain a system-wide list of "good"_and_wanted
variables, + there might be a per-command list of variables to pass.

However, a system facility to keep on the "issetugid" flag for child
processes would help us a lot too - the sanity checks made in the libc
should be executed too.

What about establishing a convention (if there's none till now) to
set an environment variable ISSETUGID in a program like sudo, and
passing this variable as a warning indicator to all child processes?

			Vladimir Mencl