Date:      Mon, 13 Dec 1999 20:43:16 -0500
From:      "Vladimir N. Silyaev" <vsilyaev@mindspring.com>
To:        Kenneth Culver <culverk@culverk.student.umd.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: raw disks and vmware

>Foo some reason, I still cannot get vmware to boot a raw device. It still
>says that the disk is an unknown type. I'm using the new ATA drivers, and
>I'm using /dev/wd0 as the device name.
Do something like: ls -al /dev/wd0, and take a look to the result, if you
are see a something like:
crw-r-----  1 root  operator    3,   0 Nov 26 20:20 /dev/wd0
^

Then it's mean, that your problem very simple. Probably vmware want the
block device, not a character. AFAIK, after 26 Nov all the devices
are a character. So try to do something like:
mknod /compat/linux/dev/hda b 0 0x00010002

(This is not tested so, please, report any result - successful or not.)

And use /dev/hda, in vmware. Remember, vmware don't save a changes in
the device field, so you are need to manually edit the file with raw disk
description, or create new one.

--
Vladimir Silyaev