Date:      Sun, 13 Mar 2005 13:12:55 -0800
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@freebsd.org>
To:        Scott Long <scottl@samsco.org>
Cc:        re@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Blade 100 w/ 5.4-PRERELEASE console

On Sat, Mar 12, 2005 at 10:32:03AM -0700, Scott Long wrote:
> Marius Strobl wrote:
> >No, this is a nit which easily can be worked around. A real pain is
> >that binutils are broken on sparc64 and users have to manually apply
> >a patch to the base src and recompile binutils in order to be able
> >to build a number of ports.
> >Marius
>
> So, um, where do we stand on this?  Is it really a problem, is there an
> issue of lack of time, lack of resources, or what?  Is it fixable by
> doing a vendor import of a few files?

It isn't fixable by a vendor import.  I did want to work on this... but

I've spent over 25 hours trying to get my Sun Blade 100 back working from
an IDE disk that died last fall.  Everything from hw.ata.atapi_dma now
defaulting to '1', to finding that the POS IDE controller will only do
UDMA with certain drive firmware, to now having to debug the lack of a
serial console.

I'm quite tired of hitting everyone else's land minds as I try to fix
work on this.  Marcus, this is why I just wanted the console changes
backed out -- I have other non-console things to fix.

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)