Date:      Sat, 5 Jul 2003 13:27:39 -0700
From:      Joshua Oreman <oremanj@webserver.get-linux.org>
To:        David Loszewski <lists@bsdadmins.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: staring imapd from command line?

On Sat, Jul 05, 2003 at 04:04:25PM -0400 or thereabouts, David Loszewski wrote:
> I don't use inetd for security reasons but am now trying to start imapd from the command line, if I do '/usr/local/libexec/imapd &'  this happens:
>
> hermes# * OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4REV1 LOGIN-REFERRALS STARTTLS LOGINDISABLED] hermes.bsdadmins.net IMAP4rev1 2003.337 at Sat, 5 Jul 2003 16:07:17 -0500 (EST)
>
> [1]  + Suspended (tty input)         /usr/local/libexec/imapd
>
> How do I make this work?

Make an /etc/inetd.conf file with one line to start imapd. Sorry, you have to.
Of course, you could use an inetd replacement, like xinetd (from ports).
Another solution would be to install tcpserver (might be part of daemontools)
and use that for a one-program inetd.

Here's why:
Inetd listens on port 143 (for example). When it gets a connection, it starts
/usr/local/libexec/imapd with its stdout going to the network and its stdin
coming from the network. So if you start imapd from the command line, it expects
its stdin to be reading the network. Actually, since inetd wasn't there to
redirect it, it's reading from (and writing to) your terminal.

So: use inetd, xinetd, or tcpserver.

-- Josh