Date:      Tue, 25 Dec 2012 16:03:38 +0100
From:      Matthew Rezny <mrezny@hexaneinc.com>
To:        Kubilay Kocak <koobs.freebsd@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: multimedia/x264 workaround is broken

On 25 Dec, 2012, at 14:57, Kubilay Kocak wrote:

> On 26/12/2012 12:43 AM, Matthew Rezny wrote:
>> On 25 Dec, 2012, at 4:49, Kubilay Kocak wrote:
>>=20
>>> On 25/12/2012 1:55 PM, Matthew Rezny wrote:
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>> This may help provide some answers:
>>>=20
>>> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=3Dports/171542
>>>=20
>> Thank you for the suggestion. However, the topic of that PR is
>> disabling PGO to build with Clang. I had already turned off the PGO
>> option before the first build attempt, and the problem I faced was
>> the insistence upon calling the non-existent GCC regardless of
>> chosen port options.
>=20
> I referenced the PR as an additional information source, as I wasn't
> entirely sure what issue you were facing without logs to reference. I
> should have been more explicit than 'may help' and will do my best
> next time.
>=20
> Ta,
>=20
> Koobs
>=20
The log was not included because it was nothing but a single useful line =
of information, the attempt to invoke gcc, following two screens worth =
of boilerplate.

In case I was unclear before, the problem I found is that the workaround =
makes it always call the assumed-present base gcc. There are two =
failures, never triggering a build of gcc from ports even when setting =
the option that should require it (GCC4.4+), and still attempting to =
call base gcc rather than the ports version had any gcc port been =
installed.

Both those errors stem from a workaround that does not even seem =
necessary. The port appears to build fine with Clang.