Date:      Mon, 13 Dec 1999 17:11:36 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <freebsd@sasknow.com>
To:        Jaime Kikpole <jaime@malkav.snowmoon.com>
Cc:        edk@null.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Trouble installing FreeBSD

I know it sounds obvious, but have you tried a clean boot disk?  I'm in
the habit of using disks that go back a decade or so for boot disks,
and I've been caught with funny errors more than once with a bad floppy.
Your kernel is hanging when trying to set the root device; either it's
running out of memory, or the root FS on the floppy is corrupt.

Remember the boot disk has a compressed filesystem that is mounted as mfs
by the installer.  GENERIC in 2.2.8 is probably ~1.8MB, add the
filesystem, overhead, and application space and you'll chew up memory
pretty quickly.

And, yes, the kernel isn't reporting the correct memory size.  This isn't
ALWAYS a problem, but you may need to build a new kernel with a defined
maxmem size (see LINT for this, it's been a long time since I've had to do
it) and make yourself a new boot floppy. (Provided you have access to
another 2.2.8 system somewhere;  if not, maybe somebody on this list would
be willing to make you an image).

I DO recommend increasing the amount of memory at some point, though, if
at all possible.  (If you're stuck with 32 pin SIMMs, I wish you the best
of luck in your search :-)

  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  50% Owner, Technical and Accounts
  Phone: +1 (306) 664-1161

  SaskNow Technologies     http://www.sasknow.com
  #106-380 3120 8th St E   Saskatoon, SK  S7H 0W2

On Sun, 12 Dec 1999, Jaime Kikpole wrote:

> On Sun, 12 Dec 1999 edk@null.net wrote:
> > The first thing about this that seems odd to me is that both DOS and
> > the power on self test report that this system has 4M of memory, not
> > the 640K reported here.
> >
> > Anyone have any more ideas for me?
>
> 	Take a look at:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/install.html#AEN450
>
> 	It looks like your system can't really handle FreeBSD.  In a
> nutshell, you need 5MB of RAM to run the installer.  If you only have 4MB,
> FreeBSD 3.0 might run, but I suspect it wouldn't really be worth the
> effort.  I run FreeBSD 3.2 ona 486sx with 20MB of RAM.  I had to upgrade
> it from its original 8MB of RAM when I realized that using apache on it
> made it resort to swapping into and out of virtual memory for just about
> any possible activity.
>
> 	Sorry for the bad news.
>
> 						Jaime

Jaime;

I believe his original message stated that he was installing 2.2.8, not
3.x. 2.8 was a bit more lenient on the memory requirements.  In
particular, 2.2.8 still had a single 1.44MB boot disk.

- Ryan