Date:      Sun, 6 Oct 2002 20:02:45 -0400
From:      Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc@attbi.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Netgraph and fxp0 interface?

Hi,

I am trying to learn about Netgraph.  I have set up
a -CURRENT system for testing.  I am reading the tutorial at:
http://www.daemonnews.org/200003/netgraph.html

According to this tutorial:

"if your kernel was compiled with options NETGRAPH and you have an Ethernet
interface fxp0, this command will redirect all packets received by the
Ethernet card and dump them to standard output in hex/ASCII format:

      nghook -a fxp0: divert
"

On my system, I do have an fxp0 network card:
fxp0: <Intel Pro 10/100B/100+ Ethernet> port 0x7c60-0x7c7f mem 0xf3d00000-0xf3dfffff,0xf3cff000-0xf3cfffff irq 11 at device 3.0 on pci0

I also have the following specified in my kernel config file:

device          fxp             # Intel EtherExpress PRO/100B (82557, 82558)
options         NETGRAPH                # netgraph networking

However, if I execute nghook -a fxp0: divert (as the root user), I get:

nghook: can't connect to node

If I do: ngctl list, I get:

There are 2 total nodes:
  Name: ngctl3796       Type: socket          ID: 0000001d   Num hooks: 0
  Name: fatm0           Type: atm             ID: 0000000a   Num hooks: 0

The fatm0 is from Harti Brandt's Netgraph ATM system which I am trying out.
( http://www.fokus.fhg.de/research/cc/cats/employees/hartmut.brandt/ngatm/ )

Can someone tell me why doing an nghook on fxp0: is not working?

Thanks.

--
Craig Rodrigues
http://www.gis.net/~craigr