Date:      Sat, 4 Oct 1997 12:06:31 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>, andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CVSUP vs. SNAPS

> 2.2 is the branch ID

[ Arguements about what CVS does ]

That's *irrelevant* to what goes out the door.  Just because the release
engineering process uses a TAG of 'foo', doesn't mean that a release
can't be called 'bar'.  I'm with Rod on this one.  With the 3.0 release,
I think we should call the original release '3.0.0' if we plan on having
multiple releases.

How CVS fits in this is really irrelevant, since the users don't care
for the most part how it's done, and CVS will support whatever we want
it to do.

There is a *huge* different from a 2.2-stable box that was built slightl
after '2.2-RELEASE', and one built today.  It would be nice (and trivial
to do) to have the branch tag change *AFTER* 2.2.5 to say
'2.2.5-stable'.

But, it doesn't have to happen until *after* the bits are set down for
2.2.5, so arguments now are only wasting time.  We can always argue for
it after 2.2.5 is done. :) :)

Nate

ps.  I note that the 'tag' used to denote '2.2-RELEASE' is
"RELENG_2_2_0_RELEASE" and *NOT* "RELENG_2_2_RELEASE", which is what
Jordan is arguing about.  Even internally the tags seem to support what
Rod and others are arguing for, we just want to make that information
available to the kernel.