Date:      Tue, 31 Mar 1998 19:50:25 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ftp.cdrom.com

>fledge:/home/ports/print/latex% ncftp ftp.cdrom.com
>Sorry, the current limit of 3000 users has been reached.
>Please try again in a few minutes.
>
>Most of the files in this area are also available on CDROM.  You can
>send email to (or finger) info@cdrom.com for more information or to
>order.  You may also call our toll-free number to place orders:
>1-800-786-9907 or +1-510-674-0783.  Orders are taken 24 hours.
>User anonymous access denied.
>Login failed.
>

>Hmm. :)  That's pretty extreme.  Is the current limitation on user's on
>ftp.cdrom.com on the basis of hardware, software, or bandwidth? :)

   Right at the moment the limit is bandwidth - mostly with Sprint and MCI
through the west coast NAPs. The secondary limit is CPU, but that only
becomes a problem when we have adequate bandwidth. When Internet bandwidth
isn't a problem, we tend not to run so close to the 3000 user limit since
people aren't on as long downloading the files. The 3000 user limit is
chosen because if it any higher than that, the machine becomes a little
sluggish during the peak times of the day and this annoys the archive
maintainers. Upgrades are planned to fix that problem and to expand further,
with the next goal being 4000-5000 users (depending on how significant the
upgrade is).

-DG

David Greenman