Date:      Wed, 26 Jul 2006 18:44:59 +0200
From:      Fredrik Lindberg <fli+freebsd-current@shapeshifter.se>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Extending EVFILT_NETDEV to support ip-address changes

Julian Elischer wrote:

> I may be wrong but doesn't an address change already trigger a routing
> socket event?

Yes, a routing message is sent on address addition/removal, but
the point (as I noted in my first mail) was to avoid the routing
socket-read-parse dance and provide a lightweight and direct
(the routing socket broadcasts events about all interfaces) mechanism
for address addition/removal events.
Also, the NOTE_ADDR{NEW,DEL} are sent AFTER interface configuration is
complete, at least RTM_DELADDR is broadcasted before the ip-address
actually is removed from the interface because it's sent from the
routing code and not the interface configuration code.

Fredrik Lindberg