Date:      Tue, 20 Nov 2001 14:50:36 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Jonathan Chen <jonathan.chen@itouch.co.nz>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bug reporting integrated into the ports tree

Jonathan Chen <jonathan.chen@itouch.co.nz> types:
> On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 02:34:09PM -0600, Mike Meyer wrote:
> > Jonathan Chen <jonathan.chen@itouch.co.nz> types:
> > > That's what send-pr(1) is for.
> > Except send-pr isn't the right tool use for reporting bugs with
> > ports. They should go to the port maintainer. In the cases where
> > that's ports@freebsd.org, send-pr works. Otherwise, it's wrong.
>
> Well, I'm of the opinion that it should go into the generic bug database.
> In most cases, the ports-people then reassigns it to the maintainer.
> In some cases, they find out that the port-maintainer has disappeared,
> and can reassign or find a a new maintainer.

I'm not familiar with gnats, so I don't know if it can deal with the
case of assigning a problem to someone who isn't a committer. Since
such people problably don't monitor the bugs database, it also needs
to send them an email notice when a bug is assigned to them. If those
two things work properly, all that's needed is for someone monitoring
the ports mail list to step forward and do the assignment, instead of
recommending that people send problem reports to the maintainer.

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.