Date:      Sun, 22 Aug 1999 01:34:47 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        Cliff Skolnick <cliff@steam.com>, "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>, jay d <service_account@yahoo.com>, Evren Yurtesen <yurtesen@ispro.net.tr>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: multiple machines in the same network

On Sat, 21 Aug 1999, Wes Peters wrote:

> You obviously didn't follow the links.  The HP ProCurve I mentioned is $1880
> for 40 switched 10/100 ports with layer 3 functionality and VLAN support.
> That's $47 port port, much lower than your $250/port, with a LOT more performance
> also.  The Tolly Group recently tested it and found it capable of sustaining
> full wire speed on all 40 ports.  I'll just be your PCI-bus box isn't going
> to hit 4 Gbps throughput.

I noticed the only "L3 support" from the spec sheets of the 4000M and
8000M is IGMP snooping to control multicast traffic, and "protocol
filtering" only on the 8000M.  Nothing close to IP routing, however
(not that you said it did, specifically, just clarifying).  When the
Tolly Group said they could "sustain full wire speed on all 40 ports",
was that testing each one at a time or all at once?  My math isn't
quite warped enough to allow 40 100Mbit/FD ports to all be saturated
with only a 3.8Gbit backplane, unless local switching occurs on each
of the port modules, and even then the "throughput test" would have to
take that into account and not try to move too much data across the
backplane.

You may also notice that the HP ProCurve 9304M and 9308M Routing
Switches (these DO have IP/IPX routing, but they certainly aren't
cheap... nice kit, BTW), bear an uncanny resemblance in both looks,
specs, and a digit of their model name to the Foundry Networks BigIron
4000 and 8000, respectively.

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
   FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For Intel x86 and Alpha architectures (SPARC under development).
   ( http://www.freebsd.org )

   "One should admire Windows users.  It takes a great deal of
    courage to trust Windows with your data."