Date:      Wed, 4 Feb 2004 12:51:45 +0100
From:      Adriaan de Groot <adridg@cs.kun.nl>
To:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Cc:        Janne Johansson <jj@it.su.se>
Subject:   Re: shaky support or my system?

On Wednesday 04 February 2004 10:08, Janne Johansson wrote:
> I have an amd64-3000 on a Abit motherboard, 1G ram, satadisk and it
> works nice enough on 32-bitmode winxp, but I can't get it to be stable

That's pretty consumer grade - just like what i have (k8vdeluxe, 3200, 1G r=
am,=20
sata on the promise controller).=20

> in either fbsd5.2 nor the recent 5.2.1RC. One of the things that makes
> it crash for sure is the /usr/ports/benchmarks/ubench program. It does

Don't run that, it'll just tell you that the system is only marginally fast=
er=20
than the athlon XP it replaces.=20

> I thought it could have been the sk-ethernet that was the culprit, since
> post-installation-stuff for me includes getting bash/emacs, cvs:ing and

sk ethernet was a problem in early snapshots - I started with one of David'=
s=20
snapshots from early november, dropped in an xl card (3c509) , cvsupped to=
=20
=2D -CURRENT, built that, and all was fine.

> Serial console to pick up crash dumps? Turn on more verbose crash-report

Serial console is always a good idea. Expesially when things crash under X.

> stuff somehow? build an even more recent kernel? Turn off smp-support (I

SMP is mandatory in -CURRENT and doesn't affect UP systems.

> have only one cpu) or power-saving stuff in the bios? Turn on
> Cool-n-quiet (some mhz-altering stuff as I gather) or move from SATA to

The power-saving stuff in the BIOS can be very tricky. I had endless lockup=
s=20
when C&Q was turned on - nice and quiet, but max. uptime of about 12 hours.=
=20
Since I've switched that off again and just let the CPU cooler run at max=20
speed all the time and don't fiddle with memory timings or voltages, it run=
s=20
much better.

12:51PM  up 14 days, 13:14, 4 users, load averages: 1.35, 1.26, 0.99

Not spectacular, but hey. It means it was 14 days ago that I last accessed =
the=20
cdrom, which is a sure-fire way to panic the system.

=2D --=20
       pub  1024D/FEA2A3FE 2002-06-18 Adriaan de Groot <groot@kde.org>
The users that I support would double-click on a landmine to see what it di=
d.