Date:      Tue, 22 Jul 2008 18:16:37 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 7.1 and BIND exploit

--------------enig32912119FCAFC30F8F21FE78

Doug Barton wrote:
> Clifton Royston wrote:
>>   I also think that modular design of security-sensitive tools is the
>> way to go, with his DNS tools as with Postfix.
>=20
> Dan didn't write postfix, he wrote qmail.
>=20
> If you're interested in a resolver-only solution (and that is not a bad=
=20
> way to go) then you should evaluate dns/unbound. It is a lightweight=20
> resolver-only server that has a good security model and already=20
> implements query port randomization. It also has the advantage of being=
=20
> maintained, and compliant to 21st Century DNS standards including DNSSE=

Are there any plans to enable DNSSEC capability in the resolver built int=
o FreeBSD?

> (which, btw, is the real solution to the response forgery problem, it=20
> just can't be deployed universally before 8/5).

That big announcement Dan Kaminsky was going to make at the Blackhat
Conference in August?  Unfortunately the cat has already been let out
of the bag:

http://blog.invisibledenizen.org/2008/07/kaminskys-dns-issue-accidentally=
-leaked.html

There's no implementation of DNS that can be any /more/ proof against thi=
than BIND+latest patches because the problem is intrinsic to the design o=
f=20
the DNS protocol. You'ld better be patched up or using alternative DNS=20
implementations equally secure already.  Even so that just increases the =

search space from about 16bits to about 30bits, which should make it not =

really feasible given current network and server capabilities. =20

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                  Flat 3