Date:      Mon, 28 Aug 2000 01:09:27 -0300
From:      =?iso-8859-1?Q?Gorgonio_Ara=FAjo?= <gorgonio@nexos.com.br>
To:        "Neill Robins" <freebsd@nc.rr.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, "Berchris Moura" <berchris@nexos.com.br>, <penhinha01@svn.com.br>
Subject:   Re: Diamond Stealth III S540 (S3 SAVAGE 4)

>>> I have an AGP Diamond Stealth III S540 16Meg AGP card
>>> that I'm having a devil of a time getting X to work on.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have any suggestions?
>LR> Oh, FreeBSD 4.0-STABLE, XFree86 3.3.6 or 4.0
>
>Larry,
>
>I have not had any success with the AGP Stealth III S540 on my 4.0
>box.  I can only get mine to work in 320x240, or whatever.  Currently,
>according to XFree86, the only support for the S3 Savage4 is in the
>Linux version.  I understand that they are working on it, but if you
>need X working, I would suggest grabbing a card that is known to work,
>such as ATI or an number9, etc.

This is exactly what happened with me. Under Red Hat Linux with
XFree86-3.3.5 (SVGA !) I could configure a S3 Savage 4 card with 1024x768
resolution, but under FreeBSD-4.0 with XFree8603.3.6 I just get 320x240,
what is a very poor resolution. The problema is that I need to run FreeBSD
under 20 machines and I will not have neither money neither time to change
all cards. Is there any chance to run Linux SVGA server under FreeBSD with
Linux emulation? Or, have any one run XFree86-4.0  under FreeBSD-4.0 with a
S3 Savage 4 card?

Thanks,

Gorgonio
Salvador, BA, Brazil