Date:      Sun, 10 Feb 2002 20:08:42 -0600
From:      Len Conrad <LConrad@Go2France.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DNS in sandbox

>(1) pkg_add -r bind ... installs bind-8.3.0 unfortunately.

oops, sorry, I forgot that the site I was thinking about, I installed from
ISC's tar.gz

>   Does the
>ports version of bind9 - 9.1.3 - implement chroot in the same way as
>9.2?  Or is there another way for me to download and install 9.2
>within the ports or packages frameworks?

ftp to ftp.isc.org and get 9.2.

>(2) The ARM mentions that some OS's may need to shuffle some files in
>under the etc/named directory.  Have you had to do this in FBSD?

there's some file shuffling that the bind port does, but I never really had
any problems compiling and running from tar.gz.  I guesss this is FreeBSD
politically correct, but wtf, I needed to make progress.

>"Unlike with earlier versions of BIND, you will typically not need to
>compile named statically nor install
>shared libraries under the new root. However, depending on your
>operating system, you may need to set
>up things like /dev/zero, /dev/random, /dev/log, and/or
>/etc/localtime."

yep, /etc/localtime got me, so I just added that to my /var/namedroot, and
it ran.  follow ARM's doc, and it works.

Len

http://MenAndMice.com/DNS-training
http://BIND8NT.MEIway.com : ISC BIND 8.2.4 for NT4 & W2K
http://IMGate.MEIway.com  : Build free, hi-perf, anti-abuse mail gateways