Date:      Mon, 22 Sep 1997 09:10:04 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Alex.Boisvert" <boia01@castor.GEL.USherb.CA>
To:        Dimitris Alexandris <evercom@lords.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: panic: double fault

> May I just bring to your attention this problem I encountered when I tried
> to install my brand new copy of FreeBSD 2.2.2 on our ex Win NT 4.0 server.
>
> The machine is built round the Cyrix 6x86 166 MHz CPU and has 48 Mb of RAM
> with a Sony CDROM and a Quantum Fireball 1.2 Gb HD.
>
> Unfortunately after I created the startup boot floppy as per instructions
> and booted up the system the familiar colour screen with the choice of
> configuration, novice, expert, quickstart setup, etc etc never came up
> despite my repeated efforts. All I was getting at the end was teh message
> 'panic: double fault' and the computer just hang up saying 'syncing
> diks...'

FreeBSD 2.2.2 (only that version) has an installation problem when run
with 48 meg. of RAM.

Solution:  Remove/add memory during the installation (you can go down to
32 meg. without penalty) and put back the memory after installation.

This is problem is fixed in new versions of FreeBSD.

Regards,
Alex.