Date:      Thu, 23 Jul 1998 00:29:49 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, paul@originative.co.uk
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu, imp@village.org, jb@cimlogic.com.au, nrice@emu.sourcee.com
Subject:   Re: Does building current on 2.2.x still work?

>> Would it make sense to install the new mk files during the bootstrap
>> target. The original idea I had for the bootstrap target was to deal
>> with precisely these things, carry out steps required to bootstrap from
>> the previously released version to current.
>
>Not really, since if the mk files have changed enough to cause the
>Makefile to not even parse properly (which is what happens in this
>case), how are you going to run the bootstrap target at all? :-)

Not for that reason.  src/Makefile is doesn't use any complicated
syntax.  It only fails to parse because someone forgot to test for
variables being defined before use in .if statements.  It is easier
to skip this check, and similar .if statements are used in *.mk,
so my fix for this problem is to ensure that the variables are
defined.

Bruce