Date:      Thu, 21 Apr 2011 08:44:39 +0800
From:      TJ Varghese <tj@tjvarghese.com>
To:        Odhiambo Washington <odhiambo@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Groupware Server

On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 3:59 AM, Odhiambo Washington <odhiambo@gmail.com>wr=
ote:

> Now, I have to revisit this subject after a year.
>
> Anyone knows of a concoction of software that can make me achieve the
> following with FreeBSD:
>
> Email Server
> =E2=80=A2 http, pop, smtp, and imap email access.
> =E2=80=A2 Global Address List facility
> =E2=80=A2 Personal Address List facility
> =E2=80=A2 Distribution/Mailing list capabilities
> =E2=80=A2 Personal and Group Scheduling through a calendar facility
> =E2=80=A2 Anti-Spam and Anti-virus
> =E2=80=A2 Stores Mail accounts and data in MySQL
>
> ... especially the 2nd and 3rd portions.
>
> What is the best groupware, based on MySQL, that runs on FreeBSD in this
> time and age? :)

I've found Groupoffice Community edition reasonable competent with a rather
good looking UI. You'll need an  SMTP & IMAP server set up separately.

/usr/ports/ww/groupoffice

Ports have a rather old version of GO, but you could install it just to get
the most of the dependencies taken care of, then just download the latest
version from http://sourceforge.net/projects/group-office/ and install
whatever dependencies are missing.

That said, FreeBSD isn't officially supported, so some things do take some
tweaking. I recall also that it prefers Postfix...I was using sendmail and
the vacation autoresponder was disabled.