Date:      Mon, 4 Dec 1995 22:05:34 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   DUMP fails: / full

We are trying to backup a 350mb(?) /usr partition, about 50% full.  When
we try to dump it to a 2GB (?) Connor SCSI tape, a file called `nst0' is
created in /dev and eventually fills the 32mb / partition.  The dump fails
and we have a / that is 109% full :-) We just delete the file and all is
OK.

We are using this command:

dump 0unbBf 2000000 10 /dev/nrst0 /dev/sd1f

A dump of sd1a and sd1e ( 32mb / and a 50mb /var) works OK.

We just used the `A' defaults when FreeBSD 2.1-R was installed.

How can we backup the machine?  Do we have to reparition / to make it
larger?  Any hints?

Thanks!

Doug White                              | Student, University of Oregon
Internet:  dwhite@gladstone.uoregon.edu | Major: Computer Science
http://gladstone.uoregon.edu/~dwhite    | Eugene/Spfld BBS List Publisher