Date:      Mon, 07 Apr 1997 14:37:25 -0700
From:      Don Wilde <Don@PartsNow.com>
To:        Carl Schwehr <marburg@chill.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Request for information

>        Ok, I've got the idea now.. I was also going to ask, should I set it up as
>a secondary partition or on a different computer till I get the hang of it?
>Or should I just do the emmersion thing?	I've done it both ways, both work, although I have seen some newbies have screaming fits with
partitioning and boot managers. If you can, just scrap one (or 2) of your 486 PCs (or swap a new hard disk in
temporarily (hah!)), and load BSD as the sole OS. I haven't yet had time to get SAMBA to work for
netware/Wintel integration, but that's the fault of all the Micros**t stuff I'm fighting all the time. DO set
yourself up with TCP/IP and a 'Net connection, that's part of the power of UNIX is its connectivity.
	Also, get yourself a copy of UNIX SA Handbook (ISBN 0-13-151051-7) by Nemeth et al (Prentice Hall), it
has enough advice about everything to get you going, along with subscribing to these lists. If you've got that
much systems experience you should be a real power user in 6 months. It's also fun, because the FBSD people
here are more than willing to share the inside tradeoffs they've fought over in the OS design, it's very
educational.
--
  oooOOO O O O o * * *  *   *   *