Date:      Mon, 12 Jun 1995 10:35:52 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD current)
Subject:   CVS and FreeBSD 2.0.5/2.1/2.2

I was asked to put this small plan together so that the core team
could look it over and confirm this is what we are going to do.

The core team has looked this over, feedback incorportated, and
actions now being taken....

This plan involves input from Jordan (2.0.5R Release Engineer,
and part of 2.1 release engineering team), Poul (2.0R Release Engineer)
and myself (1.0R, 1.1R Release engineer, part of 2.1 release engineering
team), and David (part of 2.0.5R and 2.1 release engineering team).

As you notice from above Jordan, David and myself will compose the
2.1 release team.  What this means will become clear as you read
through what it is we are proposing to do and/or have already done.

The CVS tree was tagged for 2.0.5A, branched at RELENG_2_0_5_BP onto
the branch RELENG_2_0_5.  Currently all cvs access has been restricted
to the current src/ports release engineers while things shake down
and we try to figure out just what it is we are going to do for
the future.

Since our about to happen release is now on a branch that no one but
the release engineers can work on, and we need to get the changes made
in it out to our -current user base with a minimum of fuss (David is
about to fix a bunch of bugs and we need it to get out ASAP) I propose
that I ``cd /usr/src; cvs update -r RELENG_2_0_5'' on Freefall.  This
in effect will mean that /usr/src is tracking our -current developement
work.

This will have a *MINIMUM* impact on -current users as it will simply
update the files that have been modified since 2.0.5A and they will
be able to track Jordan and David's final bug fixes.

Infact this update opertion has already happened and suppers should
now me updated to the same bits Jordan is using to roll releases with.

When 2.0.5R is ready the tree will again be tagged and a cvs merge
operation of all 2.0.5A to 2.0.5R changes merged back into the
main branch.  The RELENG_2_0_5 branch tag will be renamed to RELENG_2_1_0.
After that merge is done I will run a cvs update -A in /usr/src
to bring it back onto the main line (should actually cause 0 changes
to the files, should just removed the CVS/Tag files.)

[This is gobbley gook that most of you don't need to know about, just
let it be said this is, IMHO, the easiest thing to do and eliminates
dual branching the tree.]

At this point in time the release engineering team for 2.1 will begin
to work on the end of the RELENG_2_1_0 branch, a copy of this branch
will be checked out on freefall (probably as /b/src) and new sup
targets will be set up for it.  This will become what is known as
the -stable branch.  A new mailling list will be set up for people
to talk about it on.  There will not be any open commit access given
to this area, David, Jordan and myself all know too well that allowing
a free for all any place close to 2 months before a release invariable
delays it due to new code coming in that could not possible be shaken
out be release time.

And now the final thing, what is now the current main branch in cvs
is from TODAY forward known as the 2.2 development branch.  So when
we open the gates on it (this will be done concurrently with the
application of the 2.0.5R/2.1.0 tags) committers will be working
on FreeBSD 2.2.

David and myself will be responsible for dual committing all applicable
2.1 changes into the 2.2 tree.  Expect this to happen some time this
weekend, though cvs access to it will remain off until I can do the
2.0.5A -> 2.0.5R cvs merge operation (doing things this way will allow
me to do that in less than an hour since it will be impossible for a
cvs conflict to have been created).

Footnotes:
1. we should change the newvers.sh strings at the right times too.

2. People should send email to ctm@freebsd.org if they want to lobby for
a ctm-21 series of CTM deltas.