Date:      Tue, 26 Mar 1996 17:17:42 -0800
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
Cc:        hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can't read this stupid DAT tape - ARGH!

>>j@uriah 268% fgrep MAXPHYS /usr/include/machine/*
>>/usr/include/machine/param.h:#define MAXPHYS            (64 * 1024)     /* max
>> raw I/O transfer size */
>>
>>I think you gotta bump this one to 256 K, and recompile your world.
>
>Buffers only hold 64k.  How can you read a larger block size?  We have to
>provide a way of chaining buffers together to allow such large block sizes.
>I proposed buffer chaining to John some time ago, but other things have
>been more important.

   The buffer size could be increased, but the larger problem is that most if
not all of the adapters have too few scatter-gather segments to handle it. In
order to work around this, we'd have to implement some general mechanism for
allocating contiguous chunks of memory that works all the time (as opposed to
just during startup like the current code does). This is very difficult
because it involves reclaiming pages/paging.

-DG

David Greenman