Date:      Tue, 30 Oct 2001 17:20:43 +0100 (CET)
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        tlambert2@mindspring.com
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, julian@elischer.org, fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: physical block no -> name of file  (FFS)?

On 30 Okt, Terry Lambert wrote:

> The problem is that you will have to exhaustively search 50% of
> all metadata to find a bad block that's contained in a file, and
> 100% of all metadata, if it's not contained in a file (for example,
> if it has been replaced by a spare, or the error occurred during a
> free of the bad block, and the bad block was in metadata, so it
> held a reference to non-bad blocks).

If it is replaced by a spare, I didn't have a problem. I just want to
use the program to lookup files for which the error still is present (in
my particular situation there was a read error on a file and I had to
issue a write command to this block (with camcontrol) to have it
replaced with a spare).

If the bad block was in metadata, I'm screwed, but I think it is better
to have a tool which solves a subset of my problems instead of not
having a tool which solves a subset.

> In any case, you are looking at a reverse lookup problem.

But with my approach I didn't have to look at every allocated block
(worst case) to find the file (like the backup approach), I have only to
look at every allocated block which contains metadata.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
Actually, Microsoft is sort of a mixture between the Borg and the Ferengi.