Date:      Wed, 3 Oct 2012 19:16:36 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Jamie Paul Griffin <jamie@kode5.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: suggest pdf viewer for pdf version 1.6 with annotations

On Wed, 3 Oct 2012 15:28:06 +0100, Jamie Paul Griffin wrote:
> [ Polytropon wrote on Wed  3.Oct'12 at 11:26:38 +0200 ]
>
> > On Wed, 3 Oct 2012 08:50:16 +0100 (BST), Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
> > > I got sent a pdf file, version 1.6, with annotations.
> > > xpdf can view the file, but not the annotations.
> > > Please suggest a pdf viewer from ports that might help.
> >
> > I haven't checked, but the "Adobe Reader" (port: acroread,
> > e. g. acroread9) should be able to do this, as PDF 1.6
> > support is in that product since version 7 (Jan. 2005).
> >
> > I'm not sure if it would be "less bloaty" to use a PDF
> > viewer coming with one of the big desktop environments
> > KDE or Gnome: Evince, KPDF or Okular... I'm not using
> > any of these, so I can't make better recommendations.
> > Whenever I approach the border of what xpdf and gv can
> > do, I use "acroread <filename>". :-)
>
> I'm using adobe acroread on 9.1(stable) and it is ok. Bit slow
> starting up, but i've experienced no other issues

Same here (on OS 8.2-STABLE i386), but it removes the default
(black) mouse cursor and displays an ugly white one. Processing
speed is acceptable, keyboard support is a bit lacking (e. g.
Ctrl+P brings up the print dialog, but pressing ENTER does not
start printing, instead Alt+O does).

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany