Date:      Thu, 16 Aug 2001 11:14:16 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
Cc:        nate@yogotech.com (Nate Williams), mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: pcic pci attachments merged from current

> : > : I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but on my T20, it now hangs with
> : > : the card in it.  Even if I eject the card, the box stays hung, and
> : > : requires a power-cycle to get it going again.  Also, as soon as I insert
> : > : the card into the box, it's locks up the box.  A kernel made before
> : > : these changes (late last week) does not exhibit the boot and insertion
> : > : hangs.
> : >
> : > Sounds like a stuck card status interrupt...  What kind of card is it?
> :
> : Modem, although I could try a couple of others.
>
> Please try a couple of others.  I just discovered tonight that modems
> have issue (but given where you are seeing the hang, the issue is way
> down stream).

More news.

I messed with the BIOS on my computer, and instead of having IRQ11
hardcoded for all of the PCI interrupts, I chose 'Auto-Select IRQ' for
the 4 different settings.  With this change in place, all of my PCMCIA
cards are now recognized (pccardc dumpcis now works) with the old
(Aug. 5th) codebase.  Now using, the previous kernel, my network card
(D-Link DE660) and serial cards both work fine if I hard-code the
interrupts to use in /etc/pccard.conf.  Otherwise

===================/etc/pccard.conf===================
irq     3 9 10 15

# D-Link DE-660 NE2000 clone
card "D-Link" "DE-660"
        config auto "ed0" 9 0x10
#       config auto "ed0" ? 0x10
        insert  /etc/pccard_ether $device start
        remove  /etc/pccard_ether $device stop

# USR Sportster 33.6
card "U.S. Robotics" "SP1336"
        config  auto "sio" 3
#       config  auto "sio" ?
===================/etc/pccard.conf===================

Otherwise, if I have it auto-select an IRQ (for either card), it fails
to find a usable interrupt, even though irqs 3 & 9 are available per the
top of the file.  This is not necessarily a bug, but a regression.

[ Update, ignore this.  Auto-select works fine once I reverted the pccardd
change that accompanied the new codebase.

imp         2001/08/14 20:50:27 PDT

  Modified files:        (Branch: RELENG_4)
    usr.sbin/pccard/pccardd cardd.c
  Log:
  MFC: Merge the "ask the kernel what IRQ to use" code needed for the new
  pcic code.

  # You really want to update both pccardd and the kernel at the same time

  Approved by: re

  Revision   Changes    Path
  1.46.2.13  +56 -50    src/usr.sbin/pccard/pccardd/cardd.c
]

One bad thing that's part of the old code is that if I configure the
network card and use it, I can't pop it out w/out first doing an
'ifconfig ed1 delete', because it'll hang FreeBSD.  (FWIW, I could
hot-swap it in FreeBSD 2.2, so this is a regression.)

So, in summary, something in the new pcic/PCI routing code is definitely
screwing up things so they don't work right, where the old code works
fine, modulo the hot-swap issue.

The code I'm using is from Aug. 5, and it works *great* if I use a
pccardd that matches the code.

The new code was from a couple of days ago, and it hangs at boot-time if
any cards are inserted, or as soon as a card is inserted (using a
pccardd from the same vintage doesn't seem to make any difference).

One final note, this is the first time I've actually used the
pcic/pccard code since I quit maintaining it oh so many years ago.

Congratulations go to Warner for keeping things not only working, but
working even better than before, considering all the various and sundry
infrastructure changes that have gone on beneath it (newbus, etc..).

Nate