Date:      Tue, 07 Apr 1998 21:31:07 +0200
From:      "Stefan Bethke" <stefan@promo.de>
To:        "Terry Lambert" <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        Studded <Studded@san.rr.com>, archie@whistle.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Daylight Savings Time - bug

--On Die, 7. Apr 1998 18:31 Uhr +0000 "Terry Lambert"
<tlambert@primenet.com> wrote:

>> 15 2S * * * /job
>> 	Would run the job in standard time all year round, ignoring DST
>> 15 2U * * * /job
>> 	Runs the job in UTC time.
>
>> Comments?
>
> I think people put cron jobs at the times they do for two reasons:
>
> 1)	They want the job to run when it is unlikely to impact
> 	users
>
> 2)	The want the job to run so that it's done before some set
> 	time based on an estimation of how long the run will be.

3) They want a job to be run at a predetermined time which is externally
  specified and doesn't relate to local time, but UTC (or another local
  time, for that matter).

> Neither of these are really served by the proposed changes.

I perfectly agree that being able to specify the time zone of the time isn't
the solution to the DST switching problem, but nonetheless important, imo.

As a practical example: I want to mirror some larger MPEG weather satellite
movies from a specific FTP server. They are released on a time specified in
UTC (they really are, I checked). If it weren't for my pleasure only, I'd
want to make sure I try to fetch them at the exact time, and not one hour
late.

I probably would opt for being able to specify a time zone completely in the
syntax,adding an optional field, or making cron obey TZ= in the cron table.

Stefan

--
Stefan Bethke
Promo Datentechnik      |  Tel. +49-40-851744-18