Date:      Mon, 29 Jan 1996 23:54:40 -0800 (PST)
From:      Le-Chin Eugene Liu <lliu@twolf13.ee.washington.edu>
To:        Adrian Neville <101603.1662@compuserve.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.0.5 and Mach64 graphics card

I got the same problem. According to my Mach64 manual, the card uses the
port address 0x2e8. It's also the address of sio3(COM4). Someone told me
a quick fix. Remove the address from the list in sio.c. It works for me.
I guess FreeBSD probes all possible serial ports, when you enable any of
the serial ports. This causes the problem.

Eugene

On 29 Jan 1996, Adrian Neville wrote:

> Hi,
>=20
> Firstly thanks to all those who replied to my last question,=20
>=20
> The reason i was taking things out of the kernel was because when booting=
=20
> the monitor blanked then  powered off and i had to reset the system.=20
>=20
> Investigation shows that if i have a sio device in the kernel i can't boo=
t, the
> sio and
> mach64 card seem to clash.
>=20
> I only have e-mail access ot the internet normally but yesterday did get =
a look
> at the freebsd search page and it seems a number of people have had the s=
ame
> problem, but i couldn't find an answer.
>=20
> I have a ATI Mach64 graphics card with 1mb onboard ram, the mouse is conn=
ected
> to COM1 irq 4, there is a COM2 irq 3 but i have only defined sio0 in the =
kernel.
>=20
> If i boot with ANY sio devices in the kernel the monitor blanks then powe=
rs off
> just after loading the kernel.
>=20
> Does any one know how i can get the serial ports working ?=20
>=20
> Sorry to have to keep asking,
>=20
> Thanks Adrian
>=20
> e-mail 101603.1662@compuserv.com
>=20
>=20
>=20

Le-Chin Eugene Liu =BCB =BC=D6 =B8s  l.liu@ieee.org  Lab: (206)616-3169
Web: http://weber.u.washington.edu/~lliu    =20
Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Box 352500
University of Washington,   Seattle, WA 98195                  Q'APLA