Date:      Fri, 23 Dec 1994 03:37:36 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, burg@burg.is.ge.com
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bidirectional ports ?

>Thanks, I am slowly getting there. My one problem is that the getty does not
>die, once the modem has picked up the phone (no carrier, just call in, and
>hang up the phone). The wait state changes to ttyin. When I kill the getty
>it changes to sciodtr and when I power the modem on/off it goes back to
>sciodcd.

Does it go to siodtr when you hang up?  That is is the correct behaviour.
It should stay in the siodtr state for a default of 3 seconds to give
the modem a chance to see dtr drop.  The default can be changed using
comcontrol.  If modem off/on is required to get out of the siodtr state
then there is a software bug.

> How can I get the getty to die after I hang up the phone? I thought that
>'hc' in my gettytab would do the trick, but obviously it is not enough.

You have to configure the modem to drop CD when the other end hangs up.
Many modems can be configured to never drop carrier.  This configuration
is wrong for dialin lines and bidirectional lines.

`hc' is for dropping DTR when the other end logs out.

Bruce