Date:      Fri, 11 May 2007 17:54:09 +0200
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@fer.hr>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SQL in the base system

--------------enigA0F802F6F6CE7264877492FB

Mike Meyer wrote:
>> Perhaps this is a good time I should mention that I think sqlite would=

>> also be good for the password and login databases? :)
>=20
> Someone has already pointed out the horror that is the Windows
> registry. IIUC, even MS has figured out this is a bad idea, and gotten
> away from it with Vista. But it's been tried on Unix systems before as

This is the first time I hear about Vista - AFAIK it relies even more on =

registry, to the point that the boot process also uses it.

Registry was pretty bad in Win9x, but AFAIK most of those issues were=20
because FAT32 is a bad file system. I never had a registry problem (on=20
many machines) running Win2k and WinXP.

> Using a binary format brings it's own problems. How hard is it to fix
> a corrupt database? How hard is it to figure out that the database is
> so corrupt you aren't going to get anything out of it, so you might as
> well give up? How robust is it - can a corrupt block fry the entire
> database? How about portability - can I move the file to a completely
> different architecture and still get the data from it? If any of these
> are noticably worse than they are for text files, changing is probably
> not a good idea.

Most of those issues are valid, but don't strongly advocate against=20
databases, because the same issues (corruption, rebuilding, manual=20
inspection) are present for directories of text files. Endian issues are =

solved in sqlite.

I don't think databases are so scary (but possibly that's lack of=20
experience on my part). If you would get a corrupt block in the middle=20
of a complex text file, it would wedge your system just as bad as if you =

got a bad block in a table in the database (anecdotally, sqlite database =

can be read even in those circumstances, if you avoid the corrupt=20
table). (And a corrupt block in an important metadata section is the=20
same as a corrupt block in the directory record on the file system). The =

objective downside is that there are more blocks in a database.

> Someone else mentioned XML. Well, it's easy to parse - assuming you
> read that as "someone else wrote the parser for us". That's true for
> lots of things. I also question the sanity of using it. But I wind up
> doing a lot of it, because my clients like the buzzword compliance. I
> regularly beat on them to take advantage of what XML can do that other
> formats can't. Meaning I make them install validation software, and
> pay me to write schemas for them, and get them to add hooks to the
> repository so you can't check in xml files that don't validate. But if
> you're not going to do that kind of thing, the major feature XML
> brings is the buzzword compliance.

Bofore I get misunderstood, I'd like to say that I'm not actually such a =

big fan of XML, but I think it's currently the lesser of evils. The=20
alternative is either to create a one-off file format for each and every =

purpose (aka "the unix way"), or use some XML-replacement (JSON &=20
others) which has most of the evils of XML and introduce lack of support =

from existing tools.