Date:      Fri, 25 Nov 2011 23:08:58 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@komquats.com>
To:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
Cc:        Tom Evans <tevans.uk@googlemail.com>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cron(8) mis-feature with @reboot long after system startup

In message <alpine.BSF.2.00.1111251042110.80691=40wonkity.com>, Warren Bl=
ock=20
writ
es:
>   This message is in MIME format.  The first part should be readable te=
xt,
>   while the remaining parts are likely unreadable without MIME-aware to=
ols.
>=20
> ---902635197-1839580335-1322243619=3D:80691
>=20
> On Fri, 25 Nov 2011, Tom Evans wrote:
>=20
> > On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 4:09 PM, Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert=40komquats.=
com> wro
> te:
> >> Changing the behaviour by default would change the semantics of =40r=
eboot,
> >> altering =C2=A0the behaviour of cron jobs which rely on the brokenne=
ss. What if
> >> both behaviours are wanted on the same system? Unlikely, as I can't =
see
> >> anyone relying on this broken behaviour. Having said that, I'm sure =
there
> >> are cron jobs that do rely on the broken behaviour, so it may be bes=
t to
> >> simply deprecate the broken behaviour and make one or the other a co=
mmand
> >> line option.
> >

> > The problem is that the behaviour is not broken, it works exactly as
> > described in crontab(5) - it is just confusing.
>=20
> But crontab(5) just says =22startup=22, when really it means =22cron st=
artup=22,=20
> so: http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=3Drevision&revision=3D227981
>=20
> > It's also slightly nonsensical - the command isn't run at reboot, it
> > is run at boot.
>=20
> It isn't just at boot, even.  Really it should be called =40cronstart.
> But that ship probably sailed a long time ago.  A better alias could be=
=20
> added and =40reboot marked as deprecated.  (This does not address the=20
> technical problem of really only running something at system startup.=20
> IMHO, rc scripts are a better fit for that.)

Agreed, that's what rc scripts are for.

OTOH, a non-root user can't create rc scripts. Having said that, any=20
non-root rc scripts I've ever run always required negotiation, e.g. oracl=
e=20
and other apps. You want to start other apps in a specified order.

When running non-root rc scripts, it's a simple matter of,

/bin/su - oracle -c '/home/oracle/product/oracle-8i/bin/startup.sh'

If average users really do need to run something at boot they're likely=20
running some kind of service, e.g. some kind of DBMS, on the machine and =

that would usually if not always require some kind of cooperation with th=
e=20
sysadmin.

--=20
Cheers,
Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert=40komquats.com>
FreeBSD UNIX:  <cy=40FreeBSD.org>   Web:  http://www.FreeBSD.org