Date:      Tue, 23 Dec 1997 13:06:25 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, Simon Coggins <chaos@ultra.net.au>
Subject:   Re: Segate Tape stor 3200MB

> "Bryan K. Ogawa" <bkogawa@primenet.com> wrote:
>
> > While I can't speak to the specific model you're talking about here,
> > generally speaking floppy tape drives are poorly supported or entirely
> > unsupported under FreeBSD.
>
> That's right.  Further, the floppy controller hardware makes a rather
> poort tape interface hardware.  You need to format your tape in advance
> into `sectors' (which takes a huge amount of time), and you're bound
> to the FDC clock rates that are used for floppies, thus only get the
> same basic speed as a floppy.  In FreeBSD, currently only 500 kbps are
> supported as the highest rate, this yields something around 30 KB/s
> for a floppy disk.  I doubt it will be much more for a `floppy' tape.

QIC-40 & QIC-80 drives are pretty flakey too.  I had three drives that
wouldn't work in my old place because of the moisture.  Since moving the
drives worked.

> Compare this to >100 KB/s even for the simplest SCSI drives, like an
> ancient Archive Viper 150, or to (180...) 300...500 KB/s for modern
> drives.
>
> > Most people instead recommend SCSI tape drives of some stripe or
> > another (Travan, 8mm, 4mm (DDS/DAT), DLT).
>
> I wouldn't even recommend any Travan tape.  There have been a number
> of questions regarding the SCSI ones popping up in freebsd-scsi, and
> the net result is their SCSI firmware implementation is poor enough so
> you often can't call the result `SCSI' at all (since they violate
> things that are flagged `mandatory' in the standard).
>
> > If you're worried about price, www.corpsys.com, for example, often
> > sells referbished drives quite cheaply.
>
> See also Jonathan Breslers recommendation for a QIC drive in the
> handbook.  I think it was a 1 GB drive (1.3 GB with XL cartridges),
> not too expensive, and damn fast.  There are a number of happy campers
> using Tandberg drives (like me :), but these ones aren't what one
> would call `cheap' right away.  But they are rock-solid, and that's
> what counted more to me.
>
> --
> cheers, J"org
>
> joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/ -- NIC: JW11-RIPE
> Never trust an operating system you don't have sources for. ;-)

UNIX Support                   OV/VM:  BCSC02(CSCHUBER)
ITSD                          BITNET:  CSCHUBER@BCSC02.BITNET
Government of BC            Internet:  cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca
                                       Cy.Schubert@gems8.gov.bc.ca

		"Quit spooling around, JES do it."