Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 2023 18:03:19 -0700
From:      Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>
To:        George Mitchell <george+freebsd@m5p.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Periodic rant about SCHED_ULE

On Mar 22, 2023, at 16:17, Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Mar 22, 2023, at 15:39, Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com> wrote:
>=20
>> On Mar 22, 2023, at 13:34, Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>=20
>>> On Mar 22, 2023, at 12:40, George Mitchell <george+freebsd@m5p.com> =
wrote:
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>> I built and installed misc/dnetc and got a binary
>>> blob that clearly was not built in my environment:
>>>=20
>>> # file /usr/local/distributed.net/dnetc
>>> /usr/local/distributed.net/dnetc: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, =
version 1 (FreeBSD), statically linked, for FreeBSD 10.1 (1001515), =
FreeBSD-style, stripped
> [...]
>>> The man page reported that:
>>>=20
>>> QUOTE
>>>   If you have never run the client before, it will initiate the =
menu-driven
>>>   configuration. Save and quit when done, the configuration file =
will be
>>>   saved in the same directory as the client. Now, simply restart the
>>>   client. =46rom that point on it will use the saved configuration.
>>> END QUOTE
>>>=20
>>> I've not seen what the configuration asks about yet.
>>=20
>> I went through the configuration, basically just looking
>> at it, other than providing an E-mail address. Then . . .
>>=20
>> $ sudo service dnetc start
>> Password:
>> Cannot 'start' dnetc. Set dnetc_enable to YES in /etc/rc.conf or use =
'onestart' instead of 'start'.
>>=20
>> $ sudo service dnetc onestart
>>=20
>> I just let it run without any extra competing activity, other
>> than I had my patched version of top running. It records and
>> reports various maximum-observed (MaxObs) figures, here
>> the load averages being relevant.
>>=20
>> Top showed that dnetc started 32 processes, one per hardware
>> thread. Mostly I saw: 100% nice and 0% idle.
>>=20
>> Letting it run and then looking at the load averages (and
>> their matching MaxObs figures) after something like 60+ min
>> (not carefully timed: was doing other things) showed:
>>=20
>> load averages:  31.97,  31.88,  31.66 MaxObs:  32.12,  31.97,  31.66
>>=20
>> (Note: The machine had been up for over 2.75 days before
>> starting this and had not been building much of anything
>> during that time.)
>>=20
>> I've not yet experimented with having other, significant
>> competing activity.
>>=20
>>>=20
>>> So required for repeating your results, but likely making
>>> such results not be interesting relative to how I normally
>>> deal with buildworld buildkernel and the likel, no matter
>>> if there is other activity in an overlapping time frame or
>>> not: my time preferences are too strong to wait for a single
>>> hardware thread to do my normal builds, even with no
>>> competing activity on the builder.
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>> Off topic for the specifics of the actual benchmark
>>> that you run:
>>>=20
>>> Then why not use of -jN ? In my context, any buildworld
>>> using -j1 or no -j at all takes a huge amount of time
>>> longer than letting it use all the hardware threads (or
>>> so). (I've avoided having any I/O bound contexts for
>>> such.) It does not take additional load on the system
>>> for that to be true --including on the 4-core small arm
>>> boards when I happen to buildworld on such (rare).
>>>=20
>>>=20
George
>>>=20
>>> Thanks for the notes.
>>>=20
>>> I've not decided if I'll do anything with the binary
>>> blob or not.
>>=20
>=20
> FYI:
>=20
> It is not your specific experiment, but I started my
> "extra load" experimenst with . . .
>=20
> I started a -j32 buildworld buildkernel with dnetc still
> running. I'm generally seeing around 55% Active and 42%

Note "Active": user, sorry.

> nice, < 2% system (it was building libllvm at this point).
> At that time:
>=20
> load averages:  64.41,  60.52,  49.81 MaxObs:  64.47,  60.52,  49.81
>=20

Contrasting results for some obj-lib32 build activity:
much more variety of User, nice, and system, including
times with < 5% user, 90+% nice. But not typical overall.
But lots of time roughly around 50%/50% or 35%/60%. There
were times with 15+% system.

Somewhat after buildkernel started:

load averages:  69.15,  64.12,  58.72 MaxObs:  75.98,  64.12,  58.72

Harder to summarize, so overall timing reports from the
buildworld and buildkernel stages.

buildworld:

... World build completed on Wed Mar 22 16:37:57 PDT 2023
... World built in 2615 seconds, ncpu: 32, make -j32

buildkernel:

... Kernel build for GENERIC-NODBG completed on Wed Mar 22 16:43:10 PDT =
2023
... Kernel(s)  GENERIC-NODBG built in 311 seconds, ncpu: 32, make -j32

Afterwards:

load averages:  36.08,  53.14,  55.79 MaxObs:  75.98,  65.77,  59.84

I then did (not all in the same window):

$ sudo service dnetc onestop
# rm -fr /usr/obj/BUILDs/main-amd64-nodbg-clang-alt/usr/

before another -j32 buildworld buildkernel (no dnetc). The
reuslts for this were:

buildworld:

... World build completed on Wed Mar 22 17:39:19 PDT 2023
... World built in 1240 seconds, ncpu: 32, make -j32

(compared to the 2615 for dnetc also in use)

buildkernel:

... Kernel build for GENERIC-NODBG completed on Wed Mar 22 17:41:17 PDT =
2023
... Kernel(s)  GENERIC-NODBG built in 118 seconds, ncpu: 32, make -j32

(compared to the 311 for dnetc also in use)

Experiments without -j32 will take a lot longer, even
without dnetc in use. I'm not sure there will be such
results today.

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com