Date:      Sun, 05 Mar 2000 12:40:22 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
Cc:        Alex Zepeda <jazepeda@pacbell.net>, Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>, Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, Mark Newton <newton@internode.com.au>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG, "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>, Wes Peters <wes@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Great American Gas Out

"Matthew N. Dodd" wrote:

> On Sat, 4 Mar 2000, Alex Zepeda wrote:
> > MTBE causes more harm than good.  Sure the air in metropolitan areas
> > (Bay Area, LA, NY) is better than it was 20 or 30 years ago, but with
> > the creeping SUVitis, it's starting to get worse.  Sure the exhaust is
> > cleaner, but there's so much more of it that it is still overwhelming
> > the environment.
>
> I wouldn't have a problem with SUVs if they were required to pass
> emissions and safety requirements other passenger vehicles are.

I wouldn't have a problem with SUVs if they were being bought by the
5% of the driving public that actually have some valid reason to own
and drive such a car.  Then the emissions and safety requirements
wouldn't be nearly as important as when they're being bought by 50
or 60 percent of car buyers.

Sticking them in the CAFE requirements would go a LONG way to solving
the problem.