Date:      Sun, 28 Jan 1996 11:06:34 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@cdsnet.net>
To:        "Jacob M. Parnas" <jparnas@jparnas.cybercom.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sun refugee (BSD-bigot) seeks OS for Pentium Pro system....

On Sun, 28 Jan 1996, Jacob M. Parnas wrote:

> 1.  Will a MP system work with freebsd with one processor OK, and
>     multiprocessors?  Is the MP support planned in the future (or currently
>     supported) and what type (spreading out the processes or, having a multi-
>     threading compiler and kernel)

Yes.  FreeBSD doesn't know how to start the second processor, so it runs
with just one fine.  (At least it did on a dual P120 DEC box).  I guess
there are some alpha MP patches out there, but I can't say much more than
that.)

> 2.  I'm considering BSDI as well.  Obviously, I'd be giving up support
>     possibilities from BSDI.  How good/bad is their support (do they rush you,
>     or do you get the feeling that they really want to make you feel secure
>     about them doing a good job of doing a good -- do they take responsibility
>     system problems or just give you a clue to work on and how fast is their
>     phone support turn-around?

Their support is real good, although I only use the email support.
They're pretty quick at fixing stuff.  As far as I know, there is zero MP
stuff for BSD/OS, so if that's a priority, BSD/OS won't work for you.

> 3.  How happy are you with your choice?  What are the pros+cons both up front
>     (such as ports) and undeterminable such as support?

I use both, and see better performance with FreeBSD, I still see the
occasional stability problem with FreeBSD.  BSD/OS has been a good
performaer, and very solid.

> 4.  How do you see the future?  Do you think BSDI will do a lot more ports
>     and add new features?

Yeah, BSD/OS seems to have gotten after the driver market with the new
release.  Lots of support for high-speed cards now.

> 5.  Am I correct that Linux is really System V and some BSD stuff is missing?

Vaguely.