Date:      Sun, 9 Jun 1996 05:25:36 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        lada@ws2301.gud.siemens.co.at (Hr.Ladavac)
Cc:        dyson@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Breaking ffs - speed enhancement?

Hr.Ladavac wrote:

> I hope the sources on 2.1 CD are good enough for preliminary reading.  Do you
> perhaps know where are the patches and additional documentation (i.e.
> papers, etc ?)

	i have collected a number of papers describing LFS for my
	own edification.  i can mail them out or put them up for
	ftp.  anyone interested?

Beating the I/O Bottleneck: A Case for Log-Structured File Systems
        Ousterhout Douglis
        Thu Jan 30 09:08:17 1992

The LFS Storage Manager
        Ousterhout Rosenblum
        Wed May  1 10:49:13 1991

The Design and Implementation of  a Log-Structured File System
        Rosenblum Ousterhout
        Wed Jul 24 10:22:49 1991

Experiences with Implementing a Log-Structured File System
        Chilimbi Myllymaki Weiss

An Implementation of a Log-Strcutured File System for UNIX
        Seltzer Bostic McKusick Staelin
        Sun Dec  6 17:26:35 1992
        93 usenix

File System Logging Versus Clustering: A Performance Comparison
        Seltzer Smith Balakrishnan Chang McMains
        95 usenix

	in addition be sure to read ousterhout's home page concerngin
his differences with seltzer about LFS.  (dont have the url handy,
the search engines will find it for you)

jmb
--
Jonathan M. Bresler           FreeBSD Postmaster             jmb@FreeBSD.ORG
FreeBSD--4.4BSD Unix for PC clones, source included. http://www.freebsd.org/